It was a little gloomy…

… this morning, with ACTUAL RAIN, and a fitful southerly wind. It wasn’t cool, though, far from it. I set off almost as soon as it was light. The wind couldn’t make up its mind at first, but finally settled on north again. Having become used to the wind coming from the left or north since I left home, it was somehow uncomfortable when it had been coming from the right. I had a rather long leg of my journey to cover, and this time I quite welcomed the fact that yesterday’s island disappeared over the horizon to the west quite quickly.

Without anything to do, other than keep my hand on the tiller and my eye on the GPS and compass, I started to mull over what I’m planning. I’ve decided to move my base, at least temporarily, to one of the larger, more popular, islands, where I can be slightly less noticeable. But I have no intention of leaving my own island forever. I wondered, now it’s July, how the court case is shaping up.

It was in the midst of such mullings that the wind suddenly swung around and gusted from the south, it started to patter with rain, the sky became black and a spectacular thunderstorm took place right above my head. The wind was blustering in all directions, the rain was blinding, and I had to lower the sail rather urgently. Lowering the sail is a pretty simple job when you’ve planned it. With the wind and rain coming from all points of the compass and the threat of imminent electrocution in the air, and the boat rolling dangerously, and a rope, inevitably, jamming in one of the blocks for a while, it becomes positively lethal. It must have taken me fifteen minutes to get everything squared away, by which time the sky had cleared and I was sitting in a pool of water in the well of the boat looking spare, while the boat rocked alarmingly in the choppy waves. Luckily the GPS is waterproof, as it was swilling around in the puddle with me, pointing in all directions as the waves shoved us around. Baled out, reset sail, continued, keeping a more wary eye on the weather.

When I could eventually see my destination for the day, it was quite a relief, but my troubles were not over. I found that the engine wouldn’t start, so I had to carefully anchor offshore under sail and work on the engine for a while. It was nothing much. The battery was flat from several days of using it for light and so on without running the engine, and the whole engine compartment was damp, too. I had to start it using a rope wrapped round the shaft (very hard work, but thank heavens for old-fashioned engines – you can’t do that with the modern ones) and run it for a while to dock, re-charge the battery, and get a bit of warmth up to dry things out. I’ve just tried it, and it all seems fine now.

To make my day complete, there was an email from Lionel:

I bear Unglad Tidings, I fear. (Desmëi) has 
obtained an interview on the morning of 
Tuesday 5th July. It is my fervent hope that 
exciting news on the day will bury her story in 
the sepulchre of forgotten minor tv magazine 
items, but, this being Canada, I can make no 
promise of exciting news then or any other day. 
Whether it will hit the National or International 
newswires is a moot point, but I must advise 
caution in the meantime. I shall inform you 
immediately, if not before, if the interview is 
broadcast (not all items are considered worthy) 
and whether (Desmëi) is summoned for 
follow-up items. In the meantime, please convey 
my felicitations to Nikos. I impatiently await 
your response.

Comments are closed.